Friday 27 February 2009

Snow Patrol – SECC, Glasgow – 24th February 2009

As far as venues go I have never been a fan of the oversized halls of the SECC, however, I was still looking forward to the gig, especially since they announced the support acts would be White Lies and The Ads.

Glasgow band The Ads kicked things off and even although I wasn’t too familiar with their stuff I was really impressed, these guys were fantastic. I can’t believe I haven’t heard more about them, they definitely deserve a bit more recognition. Can’t wait to hear more of their stuff and I will definitely go and see them again.

Next up was White Lies, again didn’t know too much about them but what I have heard I do like. Their set was quite short but they didn’t really impress me, they were ok. However I don’t think this was entirely down to the band, I think it was more down to the venue.

When Snow Patrol came onstage Gary Lightbody started declaring his love for Glasgow, the city he calls his second home, and its weather!?

They opened the set with their new single, If There’s A Rocket, Tie Me to It, following with a personal favourite of mine and one of their biggest hits, Chasing Cars, with the crowd singing along to the chorus.

They belted out hits such as Spitting Games, Chocolate and Crack the Shutters and the crowd loved it. Lightbody then mingled amongst the audience before choosing a random couple to sing an acoustic version of Run to with the crowd joining in.

Although the band was brilliant it wasn’t the best Snow Patrol gig I’ve been to but it was never going to be, due to the chosen venue. Snow Patrol is a band that really needs to be seen and heard in a smaller venue with a more intimate setting for the beauty of their music and lyrics to be truly appreciated.

Starlet

No comments: