Friday 31 July 2009

Hockey – Futures Stage, T in the Park 12th July 2009

Hockey was on my ‘Must See at T list’; ever since I heard they had been added to the festival line-up. So, when I could hear them playing ‘Work’ as I was approaching the tent that is the ‘Red Bull Bedroom Jam Futures Stage’, I was annoyed that I’d decided to nip to the bar before they came on stage, missing most of the set opener.

However, that was nothing compared to the panic and confusion I had when, towards the end of the song, singer Ben Grubin, said "Bye bye!" to the crowd before walking to the back of the stage.

“How long was I at the bar for?” I said out loud, then I noticed Grubin picking up a set of drumsticks and joining drummer Anthony Stassi in finishing off the track. They had me going for a second or two…..pesky kids!!

The Portland, Oregon band played a number of tracks from their soon-to-be released debut album 'Mind Chaos', including hit single 'Learn to Lose'.

Grubin was a bit surprised by the number of people singing along throughout the whole set. He looked bewildered as he asked a group of girls at the front "You guys must have seen us before, right?!"

Hit single 'Too Fake' got the best response from the Balado crowd, with most people dancing and singing along and a lot of them throwing their drinks in the air as they punched the sky whilst belting out the chorus.

I wished their set was longer; it seemed to go by so quick and I thought there would have been a bigger crowd. I was surprised to see the tent just over half full. Hockey have charisma as well as an incredible energy about them that’s totally infectious.

Set List:

Work
Learn To Lose
I Wanna Be Black
Song Away
Too Fake
Put The Game Down

Starlet

No comments: