Friday 30 July 2010

Opera-singing Scots builder to perform at UN peace event

An opera singing Scots builder has been invited to perform at an international peace day event in New York.

41-year-old, Martin Aelred from Falkirk is about to take the opera world by storm.

He has already wowed critics on both sides of the Atlantic, singing arias from classic Italian composer Puccini.

In an interview with the Scottish Daily Record, Martin said his workmates thought he'd been "on the drink" when he announced he was going to be an opera singer.

But Martin has had the last laugh as he prepares to sing in front of thousands at the United Nations International Peace Day on September 21.

He also told the newspaper that he has accepted an invitation to perform as the tenor with the Cairo Philharmonic Orchestra in December in front of the Pyramids on the day the planets are aligned.

He said: "I decided to take up opera singing after hearing Puccini. My dad loved the composer's work.

"I went for lessons in Edinburgh with Rupert Forbes, a retired singer.

"I don't read music and can't speak Italian so Rupert was a bit taken aback.

"But he saw the hunger in me and realised I wasn't there to waste his time. I started the lessons in January 2009 and went for seven months.

"After about three months I felt I was improving.

"Last year I saw an advert on a website asking if anyone would like to sing at St John's Church in Edinburgh.

No comments: